Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tornado

Did any of you feel the winds of April 10th?  We were sleeping when we woke to the sound of sirens going off.  It was about 3 a.m.  I knew that some possibly severe storms were supposed to hit about that time, but really wasn't all that concerned.  Just to be safe though I had put blankets, shoes, flashlight and 2 candles in the bathroom before we went to bed that night.  Waking up to the sirens was a bit eerie, especially since it was perfectly calm outside.  I told my husband to go ahead and get dressed just in case we needed to head for the bathroom.  I was just about to get Sammy out of bed when the sirens stopped.  I hesitated for a few seconds, but then decided I would get Sammy anyway.  As soon as we walked into the bathroom the wind started up.  We climbed into the bathtub and sat down right as the electricity went out.  The wind started shaking our house and we  could hear the lights in the bathroom ceiling rattling around.  The sound we heard was like a freight train tearing through our house.  I was just clinging to Sammy crying and silently saying "surly Lord this is not the way you are going to take us"!  I didn't know how to protect my baby.  I felt so helpless!  Jordan just started praying, and within 3-4 minutes it was over.  Once the sun was up, we went outside to survey the damage.  Thankfully it was minimal (at our house anyway).  Part of our fence was blown over, and the tree in our front yard was destroyed.  The stop sign across the street was bent to the ground and several neighbors had their trees literally uproot and fall over in the their yards.  I am not one who usually fears the weather.  I actually get a thrill out of storms.  But, this was like no storm I had ever seen before and there was nothing thrilling about it.  We are so thankful that none of our family or friends were hurt.  From now on I will take a threat of a storm very seriously....like the one they are predicting for tonight!  YIKES!!!!!!!!!!  

0 comments: