Tuesday, April 29, 2008

If only I had made spaghetti!

So last night was a Monday like any other.  Jordan was at school and I was contemplating what to make for dinner.  I did not feel like exerting too much energy so I opted for fish sticks and mac n' cheese.  I set the oven to preheat and carried on about my business.  The back of the fish stick box said to set the oven at 475 which is a little high, but I've done it before without a problem.  I heard the oven beep once it had pre-heated and a few minutes later I finally made it over there to pop in the fish sticks.  I notice a small spark through the window on the oven door.  It sort of looked like a sparkler had been placed inside.  I just stood there for a second, calmly mind you, wondering what to do.  I quickly turned the oven off and stood back to see what would happen next.  Nothing.  I opened the door to see where exactly the sparks were coming from.  BAD IDEA!!!!!!  It went from sparking to a full on fire!  I shut the door quickly and watched as the inside of the oven was nothing but bright orange.  I knew that water is not what you use on electrical fires and that flour is used for a grease fire.  My only option was to use the fire extinguisher.  Two sprays and the fire finally died out, but I could have never imagined the disaster zone that would have resulted from this choice.  The stuff that came out of the extinguisher was like a powder.  Two squirts COVERED my kitchen, living room, and trickled into the bedrooms even though I ran and shut the doors.  I could not breath and Sammy was rubbing his eyes.  I ran and put him in the back yard then went back in and opened all the doors and windows.  It was unreal!  I am standing there on the back patio counting all the times that day I had been happy because my house was so clean.  I just stood there for a minute as I watched the powder billow out of my house into the clean outdoors.  What to do, what to do.  I called my mom and told her what happened and she told me to bring Sammy over.  Actually her first response was laughter!  It was good though because I needed to laugh.  It really was quite Lucille Ballish.  Anyway, I dropped Sammy off and went back home to clean up.  Jordan got home from school and walked in to our powdered filled house and got right to work.  He was so sweet about the whole thing. We were wiping down everything.  Walls, floors, blinds, cabinets, furniture, dishes, bed linens, baseboards.  Strangely, through the whole thing I never cried or anything.  Only once did I loose it and might have let a curse word slip when my vacuum cleaner stopped working half way through the cleaning up process.  Other than that my spirits stayed relatively high.  I think I was just retreating into my happy place.  I don't know.  Our house is about 2/3 of the way back to normal.  I still have some wiping down to do in the studio, bathrooms, and my bedroom.  I look back now and laugh at the fact that I thought fish sticks would easier!!!!!  If only I had made spaghetti.......

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Really? Really? I guess it was a good thing you actually bought the extinguisher for your home study! ;)

Gail Dixon said...

Too funny, especially knowing how neat and clean you are with your house, lol! So, what's for dinner tonight? I think I would do take-out for a while. Seriously, I'm glad you guys are okay and you had your wits about you. *off to read the instructions on my fire extinguisher*