Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An adoption/foster thought

My friend Becca sent me an article this morning and I wanted to share it with all of you.   http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/religion/stories/072207dnmetfoster.210016b.html If you have read my posts then you are aware of the orphan ministry that I am helping start at our church.  God has really been working on my heart concerning this and I was even more convicted after reading the article that this is definitely the direction our church needs to take.  If we as Christians support the sanctity of life, then we MUST support the needs of the foster children and orphan children in the world.  I believe with all my heart that if the church isn't actively involved in doing this we are seriously neglecting the Word of God.  My heart is racing in almost a panic mode as I calculate the millions of children across the world who are in need.  The children in our own community.  What are we doing about it?  I realize that not everyone can afford to adopt, but think outside of the box.  There are a million other things we can do.  Although, with the tax credit refund of up to $11,000 and all the grants you can apply for, adoption can be somewhat affordable.  BUT, even if you don't feel like adoption is for you,  you can still support that cause in other ways.  You may think that I am being preachy, but there are few things that I can say I have known beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was specifically leading me towards; and this is one of them.  I am speaking to myself as well as any who will listen.  Just because we have adopted does not mean we are now exempt from any orphan responsibilities.  God did not say help only one child and then you are done.  Our participation needs to be life long and needs to reach outside the boundaries of our home.   All I ask, is that all of us would seriously pray and ask God if there is something He is wanting us to do.  That could be, financially contributing to an orphanage or a specific family who is adopting.  It could be finding a family who is caring for foster kids and committing to praying for them as they strive to live out the love of Christ for these children.  It could be, volunteering to go hold the infants and toddlers at some local shelters for abused, neglected and abandoned children.  It could even be adopting or fostering in your own home.  Just ask God what He would have you do. Thank you friends for letting me share my heart!  Take some time and watch this video I found on You Tube if you can, and after you do, I'd like to ask you to pray for some good friends of ours, Jill and Kenny, as they embark on the journey of adopting from Africa.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZQray_Ng0

2 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

Beautiful post. It's clear that God has fill your heart with love for these children. What a blessing you are!

Micah and Sunny said...

I watch your blog and I just love this post. So, so, so true. That has all really been on my heart lately. The scriptures address this issue so much yet, we very rarely hear about it at church. Thank you for sharing the link.

Sunny
Wife and Momma to 2 beautiful babies and waiting for our first through adoption from Korea