Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thoughts from a 4 year old

My niece Emma is the cutest and most precocious little 4 year old I have ever met.   She has a way of saying things out of the blue that will just crack you up.  

So, the other night I was babysitting her while her mommy was playing the piano for a children's program.  We were eating dinner when she got up from the table and somehow managed to scratch herself on the corner of it.  She climbed in my lap and fake cried for a few minutes and then looked up in my face and said, "when Sammy becomes a human, will he play with me?".  Jordan and I looked at each other and just started dying laughing. Apparently Sammy has not reached "human" status.  I wonder what it takes.   

A week earlier she stayed at my house for a while and happened to notice a picture of Sammy with his foster mother.  The questions that followed were ones that forced me to explain Sammy's adoption.  I was sweating trying to think of a clear way of explaining everything. So, slowly but surely I begin (in a very watered down version) explaining adoption.  Right as I was beginning to stumble over my words and sweat profusely, Emma looks at me and says angrily "Auntie Heather, pigs do not ride on skateboards!!".  WHAT!!!!!!!!!  The calendar on my refrigerator has a picture of a pig on a skateboard that she must have noticed somewhere in the midst of our conversation.  All I could think was, whew, she wasn't listening!!!  Well fast-forward to the same night as the "human" comment.   At some point in the evening Emma looks at me and says, "when I was born I didn't have a mom and dad?" CRAP!!!!!!!  What did I do????!!!!!!!  I started re-explaining and emphasized that she had a mommy and a Daddy.  She then cut me off and said, "Wait,I know....Sammy was born and then he came to live with Scottie and Angela."  (these are her parents and she actually used their names).  Either she was not ready for the conversation, or I just sucked that bad at explaining it.  Probably a little of both.  Either way, it was funny and made for a good laugh.  What a kid!!!!!


1 comments:

Micah and Sunny said...

What a funny story. My little guy changes subjects about 1,505 times a day, usually in the midst of a deep theological discussion that I am sure is going to change his life and all the sudden he notices the clock on the wall that he has never noticed before. So funny. I bet you did a fabulous job at explaining adoption. I am sure it will come up again. It has to be a little confusing, to little minds. Your little niece is adorable!
Sunny K