Monday, June 23, 2008

Last Week

You all know that the last six posts were "homecoming 2006 reflections", so now I have to start posting all that was happening in real time last week.  It shouldn't take too long though.  
Sammy woke up Sunday morning (15th) feeling warm but I didn't check his temperature because I tend to not be very good at detecting a fever.  I figured he was just warm from sleeping.  Later that day he felt more than just a little warm so I took his temp and it was 101.5.  It did not alarm me in the slightest, but I decided to keep him at home and calm until is passed.  Well, three days later he was STILL running a fever only now it had hit 103.5. There were also no other symptoms accompanying the fever.  He was acting like normal Sammy!  On day 5 the fever went away and the rash showed up!  When he had been running the fever days 1 and 2 I had gotten online and googled "fever with no symptoms".  Main thing that it came back with was Roseola.  So, I was fully expecting to see a rash pop up.  Holy cow it looked awful!!!!  If he was a fair complected child I probably would have had a panic attack.  I could not believe that it didn't itch or hurt because it looked horribly uncomfortable.  The doctor and the internet warned that it would make Sammy cranky and they weren't kidding!  He was SOOOOOOOO emotional and short tempered.  It was a test of my patience for sure.  Thankfully the rash was gone by yesterday and he is back to normal today.  

(Sammy chillin' on his "sick bed" and watching some cartoons)
Whenever my little muffin top is sick I make a bed on the floor for him.  Fluffy blankets, pillows and all his favorite "guys" (Backyardigans).  It goes against my grain a bit because I like my living room to be tidy so having blankets and whatnot on my floor for a WEEK is hard.  BUT, my Mom always had a way of figuring out how to make being sick not so bad,and I want to create the same memories for Sammy.  She would wait on us hand and foot (and still wrangle the 4 other kids AND educate them).  She would fix us special food, and even though we did not have much money she would by us coloring books and new crayons, or maybe some paper dolls.  Good times!

Friday the 20th was Sammy's homecoming day (as you know) so our little family of three had a celebration.  I decorated the table with balloons and made some cupcakes.  We got Sammy some little gifts (a tube of frogs...or as he would say "ahhggss", sunglasses and finger paints) and cooked out his favorite food, hotdogs with ketchup!  After cupcakes, dinner, and more cupcakes we took Sammy out for a walk in his wagon.  He seemed to really enjoy himself and was adequately tuckered out by 8:00.  It was so fun to sit at the table and watch our little boy eat his hot dog like a big kid and then think back to how tiny he was two years ago.  Some days he still seems like a baby to me and others he's so grown up it makes my heart ache.  I am just trying to hang on to all the memories and soak up each moment of him needing me because all too soon he will be going to school, going to sleepovers, going to camp, dating, getting married, and having beautiful children of his own.  

My attempt at Korean and American flags





Just what I have always wanted....fingerpaint!!!!

1 comments:

Jill said...

OH, poor little fella! I remember when G had that - he was VERY cranky, too! Glad he is feeling better.

You are SO crafty - love the cupcakes!! You should start a business! Really.