Sunday, March 30, 2008

Best Day!

So yesterday morning Jordan left for school and I pondered wether or not I was up for running errands with Sammy.  I got us ready to go and then just sat down to think it all through.  At that moment my mom called and asked me if I had had a break this week.  The answer was "no".  So she told me to bring Sammy to her house and to go do whatever I wanted and not to rush back.  Thank you my wonderful mother!!!!!!!  I was so excited.  Sammy was dropped off 30 minutes later and I was on my way.  First stop, Babies r Us.  Sippy cup valves, sippy cups, bowl with suction bottom and scented bags for dirty diapers.   Second stop, Marshalls.  No good reason, just love to browse there.  Third stop, Borders.  Sat down with a pile of gossip rags and had a good time.  Fourth stop, Wal-mart.  Walked slowly as I got my groceries.  I typically am struggling to keep Sammy from tearing open bags of things or wanting to hold two of something.  My main objective on a normal shopping trip is to go as quickly as I can without having goldfish spill on the floor or having to remove a plastic produce bag from my sons head.  So needless to say yesterdays trip was far more relaxing.  Fifth stop, Taco Bueno.  I splurged and got a beef taco salad.  I usually go for the the .79 party burrito, but today I was treating myself.  Sixth stop, HOME.  I unloaded my groceries quickly and then sat down to eat.  I found myself shoveling the food down my throat coming up for air only when absolutely necessary.  I soon realized though that I only had to feed myself and I could take my time.  So I slowed to a normal pace and finished my food while I watched a show in TOTAL PEACE.  Seventh stop, my mom's house.  I picked up Sammy and begged God all the way home that he would go down for a nap without any trouble.  The last several days he has had major separation anxiety and has cried for up to an hour when I put him down for a nap.  Thankfully my sweet boy fell asleep on the way home and transfered to his bed perfectly.  Seventh and final stop, my bed.  I collapsed on my bed and proceeded to sleep for 2 hours.  This was one of the best days ever!  It was great because it was unexpected and because I was hitting that point where I really needed some "me" time and somehow my mom sensed it, or God told her I needed it.  


Having a child is the most rewarding thing I have ever known.  But, I have come to realize that in order to keep your experience a positive one you need to make time for yourself.  I miss Sammy even when I leave him with Jordan, and it took me a while to be ok with leaving him for long periods of time.  But once I did, I saw how necessary it was for my own well-being.  So a word to you mommies.....take time for yourself every once in a while, and don't feel guilty about it in the slightest.


0 comments: