Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Close one!

I was at the pool today and I felt something sharp on my finger and looked to see that my engagement ring had broken away from the wedding band and a section in the middle of the engagement ring had totally broken off and my ring was slipping from my finger.  I was sitting next to a drain!!!!!!!  I can't tell you how panicked I was.  Yes, I caught the ring before it fell off, but had it been just a few minutes later I would have lost it taking Sammy down the slide.  If I hadn't been with friends I would have just left and burst into tears.  The thought of my beautiful ring slipping down a drain and being gone forever was so horrible.  Imagining it caused me to feel like I had tunnel vision and you know how your hearing kind of goes and everything moves in slow motion when you are freaking out, well that's how I was feeling. There had been a little hairline split in the band for some time that we kept intending to get repaired, but it didn't really bother me so I wasn't in a rush to get it done.  Note to self: if ever the band splits again, GET IT FIXED FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now I have the uncomfortable pleasure of not having a ring on my finger for a week or so.  I can't tell you how often I hear that I look like I'm 18, so now I will REALLY look like a teenager all the while toting a 2 year old around.  Oh, well.  Who cares what people think anyway! I am just thankful that I have my ring!



2 comments:

Wine Lover said...

Oh my gosh, I would have freaked too! And yeah, the feeling of not having your ring on is like being naked, I've forgotten to put it on before and it just bugged me till I got home and put it on.

Anonymous said...

E-gads! I would have been a mess if my ring went down the drain. I once watched my mom's ring go down a drain at a rest stop, praying that would never happen to me. Not that the ring itself is THAT valuable but I am so attached to the meaning. I know you feel the same.
I just wrote a post about my ring..it must be a theme this week.